Here’s a bit of a look at some of the things I’ve been doing in the last few weeks. I’m not going to attempt to display all of the images I’ve been working on. The main reason for this is that the process in to nailing a technique in drawing has proven to require a lot of drawing the same thing over and over again, almost like drilling. I’ve accumulated pages (both paper and digital) that are full of the same shape over and over again. Below is one such example. Here I’m at the very start of a tutorial on an eye. Honestly, this phase of the drawing was the most time consuming and frustrating. I couldn’t find a pencil or brush that would give the effect I wanted which was something that looked more calligraphy-like instead of a pencil sketch look. Getting the shape right was difficult too. Ultimately I think most of my frustrations stemmed from me not being able to trust the process that the tutorial was laying out for me. I was so caught up in a brush to make the outline which ultimately wasn’t going to be visible by the time the work was done anyway. It came down to the fact that that I wanted each phase of my drawing to look like each phase in the tutorial, and which I learned isn’t all that necessary to making it look close to the finished product.
This next picture is from the tutorial I worked from. The picture under it is what I begrudgingly settled on for the outline of my eye. Pretty not good, hey?
I decided to push forward with the tutorial, and if you do your best to follow each phase there is plenty of opportunity for a “smoothing of the rough edges” so to speak. If you look at the first phase of the tutorial below you’ll see that the outline is not present in the final phase because it’s undergone so much much change in the subsequent phases.
By the time I got to the end of the tutorial I was actually pretty proud of how my eye turned out, and it was probably the best thing I had ever painted so far.
Here’s another eye I did. I actually did this one before the coloured eye. As you can see my approach with this project is to start small with one body part and work my way out front there. First I did just an iris, then I moved onto a full eye and surrounding skin. Next I’ll move out into a full face which will be a whole new ball game.